High Accuracy Cleaving SystemSubmit a follow up request
Meet the LatticeAx™ Product Line – an accurate, fast, low-cost cleaving solution, suitable for any lab. The LatticeAx™ is a precision cleaver that fits in the palm of your hand. In an amazingly small footprint (4" cube, 100mm³), the patent-pending "Ax" and process are designed to assist the user to cleave site specific targets, as well as wafers, strips, or pieces to precisely sized samples with localized targets. One of the smallest, most efficient silicon wafer cleaving tools in the world, the LatticeAx™ is sure to revolutionize your workflow.
The LatticeAx™ features and process optimizes the very basic elements of the manual cleaving technique and overcomes manual cleaving disadvantages, such as lack of accuracy and repeatability. This machine-assisted hybrid cleaving tool bridges the gap between manual scribing and fully automated cleaving. It increases success rate by any user while keeping costs down. It takes little training and users will be "cleaving in minutes and experts in a day."
LatticeAx™ – New Way of Cleaving
View more videos
LatticeAx™ is fundamentally different from manual cleaving because it
- Replaces human vision with a high-magnification digital microscope to precisely select the target
- Replaces hand coordination with precision positioning knobs, resulting in a repeatable process that is not user-dependent
- Produces an indent on the surface <1 mm in length, ~10µm in width at a very shallow depth
- Employs a controlled "slow cleave" that follows the crystal plane, rather than a break along a scribed line
This machine-assisted hybrid cleaving tool bridges the gap between manual scribing and fully automated cleaving. It also increases success rate by any user while keeping costs down. Cleaving with the LatticeAx™ 220 and 420 products deliver 20 and 10µm targeting accuracy respectively. Cleaving is fast (<5 minutes), clean and repeatable.
While a manual scribe and cleave is fast (about 2 minutes), it is not repeatable or accurate. Accuracy can be improved when the manual scribe is made while viewing the sample with a stereoscope (50-100µm). In both cases, targeting accuracy and quality varies by user.
In the past decade, automated micro-cleaving tools improved targeting accuracy and sample quality needed for high resolution SEM imaging. These improvements came with strict pre-preparation requirements, lower throughput, inability to handle small and thin samples, and much higher cost than manual cleaving.
The LatticeAx™ features and process optimizes the very basic elements of the manual cleaving technique and overcomes manual cleaving disadvantages, such as lack of accuracy and repeatability.
- Precision mechanics integrated with high resolution optics and independently controlled sample and indenter stages
- LatticeAx™ indents. A shallow indent is made on the surface of the sample. No scribing
- Clean and accurate cleaves in <5 minutes. No dust, just a straight, long cleave with a mirror finish
Fast – 5 Minute Process
- Quick targeting with variable zoom
- Digitally displayed real-time imaging
Versatile – wide range of sample size, substrate type and top layers
- Site specific cross-section for SEM analysis
- Target localization prior to FIB or broad ion beam
- Downsize samples for SEM with height restriction
- Cleaving to create uniform samples for other analysis tools with non-wafer scale stages
- Vertical, mirror image cleaving for photonics analysis
- Flat, stable surface to support the LatticeAx™ at least 18" x 24" or 41cm x 61cm surface space
- Power for the vacuum pump (110V or 220V depending on local requirements)
- Computer running Windows 7 or XP with mouse, keyboard, monitor, video cable to the monitor
- The Wafer Cleaving Station
- Wafer Cleaving Kit
- Marker-Scriber Kit
- Lattice Scriber
- CleanBreak Pliers
Using the LatticeAx™, wafer cleaving is accomplished in three basicsteps that compliment existing skill sets used in wafer analysis.
|It's simple. Just SET...||INDENT...||CLEAVE...||RESULT...|
|Select target under high magnification (up to 80x) and use micrometer to position the indenter tip.||A precision control knob coupled with a sharp indenter tip results in fine indentation at the edge of the sample.||Cleaving position consists of a set cleaving pin and a cleaving bar used to apply uniform pressure to achieve a controlled cleave.||Cleave is always clean and precise.|
Every user can cleave samples with wide variation of size, thickness and materials at high quality within 2 minutes.
By using the Patent Pending LatticeAx™ base platform, every user can cleave samples with wide variation in size, thickness and materials at high quality within 2 minutes. It uses precision knobs to produce fine, reproducible surface indentation followed by slow, controlled cleaving. The indenter is controlled by a stage with 5µm steps. Combine this tool with your own optical microscope to improve cleaving accuracy.
The LatticeAx™ 120 Features:
Determined by the scope and software you provide.
Combine this tool with your own optical microscope to improve cleaving accuracy.
- 1 pre-installed Indenter
- Vacuum Pump
- Transport Case
Accurate Indent and Cleaving System
The addition of high magnification imaging enables accurate indenting resulting in samples cleaved with high accuracy. The LatticeAx™ 225 delivers 20µm accuracy with high quality cleaved surfaces in 5 min. It integrates the patent pending LatticeAx™ base with an industrial platform customized for indenting and cleaving.
The imaging package includes a focusing mount, a digital microscope with polarizer and real-time image acquisition and display software. With realtime imaging the indent is placed accurately with respect to the target making cleaving sample target simple and fast for all users. The 225 accepts samples with a wide range of sizes, thicknesses and materials.
The LatticeAx™ 225 combined with the Large Sample Platform for LatticeAx™ (EMS Cat #7653) is commonly used to downsize wafers up to 300 mm. It can indent and cleave cleanly, not generating excessive silicon dust and resulting in clean edges. Because of the accuracy of the indent die can be excised without loss of material.
The LatticeAx™ 225 Features
- ±20 Microns Cleaving Accuracy
- Accurate and Repeatable Indent and Cleave
- Clean and high quality mirror finish cleaved face
- Simple to operate
- No maintenance contracts
The LatticeAx™ 225 Benefits
- All the features of the LatticeAx™ 120 base tool
- Robust workstation platform designed for indenting and cleaving
- USB2 digital microscope with realtime digital imaging interface*
- Microscope mount with fine focus control
- Vacuum pump to secure sample with pneumatic valve switch
*Computer not included
LatticeAx™ 420 is Electron Microscopy Sciences' highest performance cleaving solution. It integrates a custom designed, stable, small footprint workstation and vision package with 4µm optical resolution and precise focus control to cleave with 10µm accuracy in <5 minutes.
It delivers a cleaving accuracy of 10µm in <5 minutes. The patent pending LatticeAx™ base is integrated with a complete vision package that includes a monocular microscope with 4µm optical resolution, color CCD camera and real-time image acquisition and display software, as well as, X-Y stage. This dedicated cleaving workstation is used to survey, align, micro-indent, cleave, and inspect any sample by any user.
The LatticeAx™ 420 Features
A Navitar Zoom 12X monocular microscope with continuous zoom (.58-7X) and fine focus coupled with an ultra-compact UXGA 1600x1200 pixel color USB CCD camera with image display software*. The package also integrates a robust, coarse and fine focusing mount and fiber optic ring lighting.
LatticeAx™ 420 Package:
- 1 pre-installed Indenter
- Vision package*
- Robust setup integrated into a single platform: 11x13" heavy duty work-surface with coarse/fine focus, X-Ysample positioning stage
- Vacuum Pump
110 or 220. Price varies, so please specify when requesting a quote.
*Computer not included
Every LatticeAx™ Features
Flat stage with vacuum to hold the sample in place during indentation.
Using the indenter knob, create a pristine, controlled surface indentation: L-1mm (from leading edge), W- 10um, D- shallow / user selection.
3-Point Cleaving Process
Using the cleaving bar and turning knob, cleave slowly and controllably perpendicular to the primary sample axis, from the indentation.
Minimum Sample Size
Full set-indent-cleave – minimum 9mm width / For <9mm, use the Ax to set-indent
Maximum Sample Size
½ of 12" wafer
Thickness of Sample
'Out of the package' die to a fully processed sample (not including package material)
Accessories for LatticeAx™
Simple mechanics make the SSC an important addition to the cross section sample preparation workflow.
Using simple mechanics, the Small Sample Cleaver (SSC) uses a novel sample holder and a cleaving platform to safely cleave samples into chips as small as 2x2mm. The novel sample holder allows samples from 4-10mm to be held during indenting and cleaving. No more handling samples directly with fingers. Gloved hands are ok, the holder has no screws, springs or pins.
Features and Benefits
- Easy to use
- Indent small samples (4-10mm) using a novel sample holder designed for use with the LatticeAx™
- Safely cleave samples as small as 4mm by 3mm accurately and repeatedly
- Repeatable cleaving of small samples without manual handling
- Can be operated securely with gloved hands; no more handling samples directly with fingers
- No more fumbling; no need for screws, springs or pins
- Sample hold-downs accept samples of various widths (3-15mm)
- Sample cleaving pins easily transfer between the indent position on the LatticeAx™ and SSC cleaving position
- Two cleaving pins accommodate various sample types
- The small sample cleaver (SSC) base comes with 4 magnetic hold-downs
- Guage sets the sample for a 0.5mm indent (versus the standard 1mm)
- A storage case secures all components
|APPLICATIONS EXAMPLE – Cross section preparation of a depackaged micro-processor|
A. 480µm thick sample ready for indenting on the LatticeAx™
B. View of the diamond indenter (15µm via target)
C. Sample ready for cleaving on the SSC
|D. Sample after cleaving||F. Sample after cleaving||F. SEM image of cross section after final polish using broad ion milling|
|Minimum Starting Sample Size||4mm (W) x 3mm (L)|
|Minimum Post Sample Size||2mm (W) x 3mm (L)|
|Sample Thickness Accommodated||200-850µm|
|Cleaving Pin Sizes||0.048"/1.2mm|
|Dimensions||1.14" (29.04mm) (H) x 4.5" (114.3mm) (W) x 2" (50.8mm) (D)|
|Weight||14 oz. (396.89g)|
- Begin your sample preparation with a "clean" edge
- Extend LatticeAx™ cleaving to 300mm diameter wafers
The Large Sample and Whole Wafer Cleaving Accessory (LSPL) supports samples up to 300 mm during indenting and cleaving. The LSPL fits on all LatticeAx™ models.
|Large sample platform attached to the LatticeAx™||Large sample platform view from front||Large sample platform view from back||Large sample platform supporting 300mm wafer|
This accessory easily attaches to the LatticeAx™ with a single set-screw.
|Quarter (300mm) wafer ready for cleaving||300mm wafer supported by LSPL|
The sample is supported by three delron arms that do not damage the backside of the wafer.
Custom diamond indenter for the LatticeAx™. The LatticeAx™ indenter is easily replaced by the user and comes with screws, allen wrench and installation instructions. Polished end for improved positioning.
Two spare custom diamond knives for the LatticeAx™. The LatticeAx™ knife is replaced by the user and comes with allen wrenches and installation instructions. This package includes:
- The LatticeAx™ Diamond Indenter: Two spare diamond knives
- Wafer Cleaving Kit: The complete tool set to get from wafer to cleanly cleaved pieces. This is a critical step to getting the best crosssections. The kit includes wafer mat, scribes for marking and scribing, pliers for cleaving, rulers and instructions.
- Diamond Scriber: Pen style, optimal for top down scribe
- Diamond Scriber: Straight tip, optimal for top down precise marking and/or scribing
- Diamond Scriber: 30 degree tip, optimal for top down precise marking and/or scribing
- L-Square: 24" x 8½", phenolic, non-warping, ruler acts as guide for macro cleaving up to 300mm wafers without damaging the top surface of the cleaving station
- CleanBreak Pliers: 6" wafer-cleaving pliers. Simple and clean way to cleave (post scribe) wafers to strips and smaller pieces. ¾" jaw
- Large Cutting Mat: Wafer-cutting mat, self healing, double sided, green and black, 18" x 24"
- Small Ruler Mat: Self healing, Small wafer piece ruler mat, double sided, green and black, 3½" x 5½"
|7640||LatticeAx™ 120 Cleaving System||each||POR||Add to Cart|
|7641||LatticeAx™ 225 Cleaving System||each||POR||Add to Cart|
|7650||LatticeAx™ 420 (110V) Cleaving System||each||POR||Add to Cart|
|7651||LatticeAx™ 420 (220V) Cleaving System||each||POR||Add to Cart|
|7652||Small Sample Cleaver||each||1,950.00||Add to Cart|
|7653||Large Sample Platform||each||595.00||Add to Cart|
|7643||LatticeAx™ Diamond Indenter||each||575.00||Add to Cart|
|7649||LatticeAx™ Complete Options Package||each||1,295.00||Add to Cart|