Van Gieson's Solution
EMS Catalog #26046
Van Gieson's Method for Collagen Fibers
Paraffin @ 6 microns or Celloidin
- Deparaffinize and hydrate to distilled water
- Weigert's Working Hematoxylin* for 10 minutes.
- Wash in distilled water.
- Stain 1-3 minutes in Van Gieson's Solution (#26046-05)
- Dehydrate in 95% alcohol, absolute alcohol, two changes each. Clear in two changes xylene.
- Mount with Permount (#17986-01) or equivalents.
Smooth and striated muscle: Yellowish to Brownish
Cornified epthelium: Yellow
Nuclei: Blue to Black
Clark, G., (ed.) Staining Procedures 3 rd Ed., Williams & Wilkins Co. Baltimore, c. 1973, p.50
Luna, L., (ed.) AFIP Manual of Histological Staining Methods, 3 rd Ed., New York . McGraw Hill Publication, c. 1968, p. 76.
Van Gieson, I. , New York Med. J., 50:57-60, 1889.
Mallory, F.B., Pathological Technique, W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia 1938.
Verhoeff's Elastic Tissue Stain
Paraffin @ 6 microns.
- Deparaffinize and hydrate to distilled water.
- Place in staining solution for 15 minutes. Staining solution should
be prepared fresh.
Combine: 25 ml Iron solution.
10 ml Potassium Iodide, 3%, aqueous.
3.5 ml Alcoholic Hematoxylin, 10%.
Use once and discard.
- Wash in tap water. Differentiate in Iron Solution, diluted 1-4 with distilled water
- Counter stain with Van Gieson's Solution, 3 - 5 minutes.
- Dehydrate, clear and mount.
Elastic Fibers: Intensely blue-black
Nuclei: Blue to black
Smooth and Striated Muscle: Brownish
Clark, G., Ed: Staining Procedures. 3 rd ed., Baltimore : William and Wilkens Co. c. 1972, p. 61
AFIP Manual of Histologic Staining Techniques. 3 rd ed., Ed. G.. Luna: New York : McGraw-Hill Publications, C. 1968, p. 76