Gridley's Method for Fungi
EMS Catalog Number: 26120-Series
Paraffin at 6 µm sections
Use a control slide
- Deparaffinize and hydrate to distilled water.
- Oxidize in Chromic Acid, 4% (#26120-01) for one hour. Wash in running water for five minutes.
- Coleman’s Feulgen Reagent (#26120-02) for 15 minutes. Wash in running tap water for 15 minutes. Rinse in several changes or 70% Alcohol.
- Aldehyde Fuchsin (#26120-03) for 30 minutes. Rinse off excess stain with 95% alcohol Rinse in distilled water.
- Counterstain lightly with Metanil Yellow (#26120-04). Rinse in distilled water.
- Dehydrate in 95% alcohol, absolute alcohol, and clear in two changes of Xylene (#23400)
|Mycelia, Conidia||Deep purple|
|Elastic Tissue & Mucin Background||Yellow|
Filaments of Nocardia & Actinomyces are not stained by this method.
Gridley, M.F. – Amer. J. Clin. Path., 23:303 (1953)
AFIP – Manual of Histologic Staining Techniques: 3rd, ED. ED. L. Luna; New York: McGraw-Hill Publications, c 1968, p. 229.