Price's Giemsa Stain Method
EMS Catalog #26156
10% Buffered Neutral Formalin or Zenker's. Use no fixation technique that will destroy erythrocytes.
Paraffin @ 4 microns
- Deparaffinize with two changes at 2 minutes each in xylene. Rinse in absolute alcohol for two changes, 2 minutes each.
- Rinse in 95% Alcohol for two changes after a one minute immersion. If necessary to further remove mercuric chloride crystals, use an Alcoholic Iodine Solution which will be further removed in successive alcohols.
- Rinse through 80%, 70%, 50%, alcohols for one change, 1 minute each.
- Rinse in distilled water for 15 seconds.
- Buffer in the Phosphate Buffer Solution, for 30 minutes.
- Stain in the Giemsa Working overnight.
To prepare Giemsa Working:
Geimsa Stock .......3 parts
Phosphate Buffer pH 7.0 ..97 parts
- Rinse in the buffer solution.
- Rinse in Acetic Acid, 0.2%, for one minute, absolute alcohol for two changes, 15 seconds each. This step should take only 90 seconds!!!
- Dip in xylene for two changes, two minutes each.
- Mount in Permount.
|Blue||Schistosomic egg shells|
|Pale Pink||Collagen, etc.|
AFIP Manual of Histological Staining Methods , 3 rd ed., L.Luna: