McManus Pas Method for Glycogen
EMS Catalog #: 26312-Series
10% Buffered Neutral Formalin or Zenker’s
Cut Paraffin, 6 microns.
- Deparaffinize and hydrate to distilled water.
- Oxidize in Periodic Acid, 0.5% (#26312-03), 5 minutes and rinse in distilled water.
- Stain in Coleman’s Feulgen (#26312-01) or Schiff’s Reagent (#26312-1A), 15 minutes and wash in running water to develop the pink color, 10 minutes.
- Counterstain in Harris Hematoxylin (#26312-2B) 6 minutes, or Light Green Working Solution (#26312-2A) 5 – 10 seconds. Light Green is better used when delineation of fungi is required. Prepare the working solution by diluting Light Green, 0.2% Solution (#26312-02) 1:5 ratio with distilled water; proceed to step #7, dehydration. Tap water and ammonia decolorize Light Green.
- Wash in running water and transfer to Acid Alcohol, 1% (#26312-04), for 3 -10 quick dips. Wash again in distilled water.
- Dip in dilute Ammonia Water, 0.3% (#26312-05), to blue the sections and again wash in running water for ten minutes.
- Dehydrate in 95% alcohol, absolute alcohol, and clear in xylene, two changes each.
- Mount with Permount (#17986-01) or DPX (#13510).
|Background, when Light Green is used as the counterstain||Green, pale|
McManus, JFA: Stain Tech.; 23:99 (1948).
AFIP, Manual of Histologic Staining Techniques; L.G. Luna, 3rd edition, New York: McGraw-Hill Publication, c. 1968, p. 160.
Mowry, R.W.: Annals of the New York Academy of Science; 106: 402 (1963).