Mayer's Mucicarmine Method
EMS Catalog #26320
10% Buffered Neutral Formalin
Paraffin @ 6 microns
- Deparaffinize and hydrate to distilled water.
- Stain in working Weigert's Hematoxylin [mix 1 volume of Weigert's A, plus 1 volume of Weigert's B,] for approximately seven minutes. Wash in running water for 10 minutes.
***If using a microwave oven - place slides in working Weigert's
Hematoxylin solution and heat in the microwave oven for 30
seconds and immediately transfer to tap water.
- Stain in the working Mucicarmine (mix 1 volume of Mucicarmine Stock, plus 4 volumes of tap water) for 60 minutes of longer. Prepare working solution fresh, use once and discard.
***If using a microwave oven - place slides in Mucicarmine Working Solution and heat in the microwave oven for 60 seconds. The hot stain jar is removed from the oven and allowed to remain at room temperature (22 ° ) for 5 minutes.
- Rinse quickly in distilled water for 2 or 3 changes.
- Counterstain in Metanil Yellow, 0.25%, for 15 seconds to 1 minute or longer.
(Older solutions require longer times)
- Rinse quickly in distilled water. (2-4 seconds)
- Dehydrate in 95% and 100% alcohol's, two changes; clear through two changes of Xylene.
- Mount with Permount or other synthetic medium.
|Mucin, Cryptococci Capsulae||deep rose to red|
|Other Tissue Elements||yellow|
Note: The rose color due to carmin staining will be obscured if sections are overstained with Weigert's Hematoxylin and/or Metanil Yellow solution.
Mallory, F.B.: Pathological Technique, Hafner Publishing Co., N.Y., c. 1961, p. 130 Luna, L.G., (ed), AFIP Manual of Histologic Staining Methods, 3 rd . ed., McGraw-Hill Co. , NY, c. 1968, pp 161-162.
Sheehan , D.C. & Hrapenak, B.B., Theory and Practice of Histotechnology, 2 nd ed.,
C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, c. 1980, pp 168-169.
Mucicarmine Stock Solution, Metanil Yellow, and Weigert’s Hematoxylin Solution A and B for Mayer's Mucicarmine Method are available online from the EMS Catalog. For ordering or product information, click here.