Aldehyde Fuchsin (pH 1.0) Method
EMS Catalog #: 26328-Series
Paraffin at 6µm sections.
- Deparaffinize and hydrate to distilled water.
- Rinse in several changes of Alcohol, 80% pH 1.0 (#26328-03).
- Stain in Aldehyde Fuchsin Solution (#26328-01) for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off excess stain with Alcohol, 80% pH 1.0 (#26328-03).
- Counterstain with Metanil Yellow Solution (#26328-02) until background is a light yellow (approximately 1 minute). Rinse in distilled water.
- Dehydrate in 95% alcohol, absolute alcohol, and clear in Xylene (#23400), two changes each.
- Mount with Permount (#17986-01) or DPX (#13510).
All mucins except the highly acidic sulfated mucosubstances are aldehyde fuchsin negative at pH values of 1.0 and below.
Johnson, W.C., Graham, J.H., and Helwig, E.B., J. Invest. Derm., 42:215-224, 1964.
Luna, L.G., (ed), Manual of Histologic Staining Methods of the AFIP, 3rd edition, McGraw-Hill, c 1968, p.166