Lillie Modification of Mason's Trchrome Stain
EMS Catalog #: 26364-Series
Paraffin at 6µm.
- Deparaffinize and hydrate to distilled water.
- If Zenker’s contain Mercury is used as fixative, remove Mercuric Chloride Crystal by placing in Lugol’s Iodine (#26364-07) or Gram’s Iodine (#26364-7A) for 15 minutes. Rinse in water and clear in Sodium Thiosulfate, 5% (#26364-08) for 3 minutes. Wash in water for 10 minutes or longer. If Russell’s Zenker (#64123-05) is used, go to step #3.
- Stain in Weigert’s Iron Hematoxylin Working* solution for 5 minutes. Wash in running water.
- Stain in Biebrich Scarlet Solution (#26364-04) for 4 minutes. Rinse in water
- Mordant in Phosphomolybdic Acid-Phosphotungstic Acid (#26364-01) for 1 minute.
- Stain in Fast Green FCF Solution (#26364-05) for 4 minutes.
- Differentiate in Acetic Acid, 1% (#26364-06) for 1 minute.
- Carry through alcohol and dehydrate with acetone or absolute alcohol.
- Clear and mount in balsam saturated with salicylic acid.
|Cytoplasm||Brown to Pink|
|Collagen||Blue to Blue-Green|
|Fibrin||Red to Pink|
Clark, G.: Staining Procedures. Williams and Wilkins Co., Baltimore, 3rd ed., c. 1973, p. 59
Lillie, R.D., Arch. Path., 29:207, 1940.