Carstairs' Method for Fibrin & Platelets
EMS Catalog #: 26381-Series
Formalin-Saline for 48 hours or more.
Cut paraffin at 5µm sections.
- Hydrate slides to distilled water.
- Mordant in Ferric Ammonium Sulfate, 5% (#26381-01) for 5 minutes. Rinse in running tap water.
- Stain with Mayer Hematoxylin (#26381-02) for 5 minutes. Rinse in running tap water.
- Stain in the Picric Acid-Orange G Solution (#26381-03) for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Rinse once in distilled water.
- Stain in Ponceau Fuchsin Solution (#26381-04) for 1 to 5 minutes. Rinse in distilled water.
- Differentiate with Phosphotungstic Acid, 1% (#26381-05) until the muscle is red and background pale pink. Rinse in distilled water.
- Stain with Aniline Blue Solution (#26381-06) for 30 minutes to 2 hours. Rinse in several changes of distilled water.
- Dehydrate, clear in Xylene and coverslip, using a synthetic mounting medium.
|Fixation Time:||48 Hours or more||Less than 48 hours|
|Fibrin||Bright Red||Orange to Orange Red|
|Platelets||Gray Blue or Navy||Light Gray|
|Collagen||Bright Blue||Bright Blue|
|Red Blood Cells||Clear Yellow||Red, Green or Yellow|