Hirano-Zimmerman for Nerve Cells & Fibers
EMS Catalog #: 26698-Series
Paraffin @ 12 – 15 microns
- Deparaffinize and hydrate to distilled water.
- Silver Nitrate, 10% (#26698-01) for two hours or longer.
- Place sections directly in Ammonia Water (#26698-02) for 3 minutes.
- Place section directly in Formalin Solution (#26698-03) for 3 minutes. Tissue becomes black-brown. Rinse in distilled water, two changes.
- Place section again into Silver Nitrate, 10% (#26698-01) for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Repeat step 3 and 4. Tissue becomes darker in color.
- Tone in Gold Chloride Solution (#26698-04) for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Place sections directly into Sodium Thiosulfate, 5% (#26698-05) for 1 minute. Rinse in distilled water.
- Dehydrate in 95% alcohol, absolute alcohol and clear in Xylene (#23400) two changes each.
- Mount with Permount (#17986-01) or any synthetic mounting medium
|Nucleolus and Nuclear Membrane||Black|
|Neurofibrils, Dendrites and Axis Cylinders||Black|
|Cytoplasm of Astrocytes and the Cytoplasmic membrane of Macrophages||Gray|
Various lipid granules are unstained, but each granule is clearly outlined.
AFIP, Manual of Histological Staining Methods, 3rd ed., Ed. L. Luna: New York: McGraw-Hill Publications. C. 1968, p. 198.
Hirano, A. and Zimmerman, H.M., Arch. Neurol., 6:114-122, 1962.