PTFE Flat Embedding Mold
EMS Catalog #70143
This Flat Embedding Mold is made from PTFE - a chemical inert material which is sturdy enough to be used multiple times.
The mold comes in two parts:
- PTFE Mold with 18 cavities, each cavity measures
14mm L x 5.5mm W x 4 mm Deep.
- Aluminum Case – this case is used as a Holder to assist in removing the cast resin blocks from the cavity by flexing the PTFE mold. The Holder is also used to restore the PTFE mold to its original shape by simply inserting the mold back into the holder.
This mold may be used with any embedding resin the same way you are use the flat embedding molds.
However, if you want to cast LR White resin or any resin which requires anaerobic conditions, the following step must be taken:
- After orientation of the tissue into the cavity of the mold, over-fill the cavities’ with embedding resin.
- Cut-out one piece of Aclar® film, (EMS # 50425-10), size 5 ½” x 1.5” (14cm x 3.5cm).
- Place the Aclar Film on top of the cavities aligning one end of the film with one end of the mold. Then lower the film slowly to allow the film to cover all of the cavities completely.
- Place the mold in the oven and set the temperature to 55-60°C.
- The resin will polymerize overnight or 16 to 20 hours.
- Let the mold cool down in the freezer for 10 minutes or allow it to sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes .
- To remove the blocks from each cavity, partially slide the mold out of the Aluminum Holder, flexing the mold with two hands to peel off the blocks.
- After all of the blocks have been removed from the mold, return the mold to the Holder, until next time..
To keep the mold clean, place the mold inside the plastic bag after each use and store away.